Gibraltar’s DLT regulatory regime, introduced on 1 January 2018, is focused on the application of principles rather than rigid rules that could quickly become outdated for businesses based on rapidly evolving technology. It aims to create a centre of excellence for these technologies and an environment in which operating models and organisational structures can be explored, with new entrants able to participate freely.
In order to take advantage of Gibraltar’s entrepreneurial regulatory approach to DLT regulation, firms will have to demonstrate that they have ‘sufficient substance’ in Gibraltar. In practice, this will require premises in Gibraltar, local directors with expertise, anti-money laundering reporting requirements, satisfying capital adequacy requirements and the ability to meet local accounting and other reporting requirements.
In short, you cannot benefit from this ground breaking regulatory regime without contributing to Gibraltar’s reputation and economy. It is worth noting that if you already operate in Gibraltar under another licence, you may not require DLT licensing. The requirement for substance, however, is unaltered.
Sovereign has developed a compelling suite of services to support businesses and help create substance to maximise opportunities and achieve long-term sustainability.
These services include:
- Consultancy services
- Establishing your legal entity
- Individual non-executive directors, on a case-by-case basis
- Guiding firms through regulatory process in obtaining a DLT Provider’s licence
- Bespoke corporate insurance policies, including Cyber Security, Directors and Officers, PI, Key Man, Healthcare
- Engaging a local lawyer of your choice for specialist legal advice
- Banking introductions
- Occupational and private pensions
- Accounting and payroll
- Company secretarial and administrative support
- Trademark and IP protection
- Locating commercial and residential premises
- Executive relocation and High Executive Possessing Specialist Skills (HEPSS) applications