Job title: Compliance Officer
Department: Compliance Department
Reporting to: Managing Director
Hours: 37.5 hours a week
Staff reporting: None
With a network of 23 offices spanning Europe, Asia, Africa and the Middle East, Sovereign’s global headcount is now approaching 550. We currently manage over 20,000 structures for a wide variety of clients – companies, entrepreneurs, private investors or ultra to high-net-worth individuals and their families – and have assets under administration in excess of £20 billion.
We pride ourselves on the exceptional breadth and depth of our technical knowledge; our culture is entrepreneurial, but we are fully committed to maintaining compliance and promoting ethical conduct.
This position will be of key importance within the organisation and the successful candidate must have previous compliance experience within the Financial Services Industry and/or other companies that are subject to external regulation.
- Manages day-to-day operation of the compliance and MLRO function, including oversight of implementation and adherence to the Compliance Manual of the Company /Group
- Provision of advice and assistance to the Company on compliance and anti-money laundering matters
- Prepare reports on a regular basis, to the Directors and the Head of Compliance, on the compliance and anti-money laundering matters
- Keep abreast of changes in applicable laws and regulations and provide guidance to the Company and to the Group on proposed regulatory changes
- Collaborates and liaises with internal departments, regulators, authorities and external service providers to resolve compliance issues
- Develops, initiates, maintains, and revises policies and procedures of the Company and its related activities to assure compliance with legal and regulatory obligations
- Conduct due diligence checks and ongoing AML reviews for existing clients and business partners.
- To review and check the files of existing companies (both physical and electronic) & to ensure they are complete, up to date and compliant with the rules given by the Sovereign Group and local and foreign legislations.
- Review and check all possible new clients and structures
- To deal with all staff effectively, and courteously, in line with the Sovereign’s policies and procedures
- To respond to routine correspondence and enquiries from staff members
- To provide a professional compliance support to staff and to ensure the smooth running of OVP software (database used by Sovereign), managing and maintaining all database in OVP inclusive of inputting the data, to produce correspondence and documents and maintain presentations, records, spread sheets and databases;
- Professional certifications in compliance and related fields
- Ideally educated to degree level (A’ level education considered
- Compliance experience within the Financial Services Industry
- Competence in developing and implementing internal compliance policies and procedures that align with regulatory requirements.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills to convey compliance requirements, provide training, and interact with internal and external stakeholders.
- The ability to design and deliver compliance training programs to educate employees on relevant laws, regulations, and internal policies.
- The capacity to adapt to changes in regulations and industry standards and modify compliance programs as needed.
- Ability to effectively manage workload with supervision from more senior team member until experienced enough to handle workload independently
- Methodical and thorough approach to work
- Good at juggling tasks and prioritising/ability to work to deadlines
- Ability to follow instructions precisely
- Attention to detail and organisational skills
- Be a fast learner
- Proven ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines
- Bright, confident personality