Portugal Fiscal Representation


The Fiscal Representative acts as an interface between a non-resident individual or company and the Tax Department on any tax matters relating to property and/or individual taxes. Many lawyers are no longer willing to assume this role and prefer to recommend Sovereign as we are specialists in tax assistance and fiscal matters.

Any non-resident individual or company resident outside the EU owning property, holding a bank account or with any other commercial activity or interest in Portugal must by law appoint a Fiscal Representative registered with the Tax Department.

For further information on this service please contact Isobel Costa on icosta@sovereigngroup.com


For any transaction in Portugal requiring the issue of an invoice you will need to provide a Portuguese fiscal number. Property or car purchases, job applications, opening bank accounts and many other activities all require the individual or company to state their fiscal number.

EU residents may attend the local tax department in Portugal and request a fiscal number by showing their I.D. card or passport and a proof of address in their home country. The nine digit number is issued instantly and is kept for life.

Non EU residents need a fiscal representative to request the number and to be registered on their behalf for the receipt of tax department correspondence.
Non-resident companies acquiring a property in Portugal must apply for their fiscal number with the Central Commercial Registry in Lisbon.
Sovereign can apply for fiscal numbers for individuals and non-resident companies.

For further information on this service please contact Isobel Costa on icosta@sovereigngroup.com

Share this story

Middle East Focus – September 2019

  • Saudi Arabia and Bahrain lead FDI inflow in Gulf region
  • DMCC partners with DED to introduce dual licensing scheme
  • DIFC introduces new Employment Law
  • RAKEZ Business Women Package – Inspiring female entrepreneurship
  • UAE relaxes foreign ownership restrictions and introduces substance requirements
  • UAE ratifies the Multilateral BEPS Convention

Follow us

Sovereign Trust (Gibraltar) Limited
Tel: +350 200 76173